| || |https://medium.com/@CryptoSeq/large-enterprise-adoption-of-blockchain-is-happening-enabled-by-quant-networks-overledger-32321b650115 submitted by xSeq22x to QuantNetwork [link] [comments]
This is Part Two in the mini-series looking at Quant Network. You can see Part One here
as well as links to other articles at the bottom of this post.
Quant Network have achieved incredible levels of adoption since launching Overledger less than a year ago. Their growth strategy is to partner with multinational global organisations with huge amounts of employees to then host / implement / take Overledger to each of their own clients. So one Partnership, leads to exponentially more and is the fastest way to scale rather than trying to partner with each customer individually. This is how companies such as Oracle grew so fast and Microsoft with their Partner Network.
“ These are multinational global organisations with 100,000 + employees, this is the scale that we are working towards to take Overledger to the mass market. We can’t do it one by one in each country and sign them up but we can partner with someone that has 100 customers and they can take it to all their customers as well which helps with the adoption of our technology” — Gilbert Verdian
Let’s start with arguably the biggest partnership for any Blockchain company listed on Coinmarketcap, the leading Financial Network Provider in Europe, SIA.
- Provide the leading Financial Network in Europe with more than 100 Tier 1 banks connected, 44 Trading venues (including the main international stock markets in Milan, Rome, London, Frankfurt and New York) and other financial institutions covering the entire trading process from pre-trading to post-trading
- process 14 Billion institutional services transactions, 7.2 billion card transactions, 3 billion payments, 51.7 billion financial transactions and carried 1,204 terabytes of data on the network
- SIA in partnership with Colt and SWIFT are the only two network providers awarded a 10 year tender commissioned by the European Central Bank for the provisioning of connectivity services allowing European central and commercial banks, central depositories, automated clearing houses and other payment service providers to connect directly to Eurosystem market infrastructures through a single access interface (Eurosystem Single Market Infrastructure Gateway — ESMIG).
- SIA’s SIAchain is the leading blockchain architecture in Europe connecting 570 Banks, Central Banks, Trading Venues and other Financial Institutions using R3’s Corda, Permissioned variants of Ethereum and Hyperledger Fabric.
- SIA have Integrated Overledger into the leading blockchain architecture in Europe SIAchain so that all of the 570 banks, Central Banks, Trading venues etc can benefit from Blockchain Interoperability.
“Since the European launch of our private infrastructure SIAchain, we are at the forefront of innovation in blockchain technology with the aim of supporting financial markets with a high-performance and secure architecture and a clear governance model. We actively continue on our path of innovation and the achievement of a fully interoperable blockchain network is the foremost objective we want to reach with the collaboration of Quant Network and its disruptive vision on DLT”, says Daniele Savarè, Innovation & Business Solutions Director, SIA. https://youtu.be/0cNmGrLPoTo
So what we’ve done is instead of just announcing one client and one thing, we’re announcing that we’re working with SIA. So, SIA is the leading European payment infrastructure. And what we’re doing with SIA is interconnecting blockchain networks with SIA, and doing settlements, which are central bank settlements, with the central bank in Italy. So what Overledger is doing is we’re actually bringing blockchain and interoperability to all of SIA’s clients, which are 580 banks. So, Overledger could be rolled out to all these institutions, financial services, banks, at scale, and have interoperability to get the benefits of this. To read more see my other article which goes into more details about SIA here https://preview.redd.it/dbpfz3914pn31.png?width=1148&format=png&auto=webp&s=f9e6b3db87954f2e86a4ce2e060646fa440e8543
Quant Network are working with AX Trading to bring more digital assets, securities and tokenised assets to their existing 800 institutional traders in an already live and connected FINRA and SEC regulated exchange. AX Trading is not just about trading securities but other digital assets such as Bitcoin, Ethereum and potentially even Quant in the Future.
- an SEC-registered broker-dealer and Alternative Trading System (ATS) Operator. They are a member of FINRA and SIPC regulated authorities.
- Have investors and sponsored brokers such as Credit Suisse, (a multinational investment Bank and Financial services company worth $27.5 billion).
- AX currently have over 800 Institutional traders (these are not individuals, but corporations such as hedge funds, banks, investment banks, pension funds, insurance companies, endowment funds etc).
- AX Trading have also partnered with Euronext, the largest Stock Exchange in Europe with a market cap of $4.65 trillion as of 2018, in the creation of Euronext Block which utilises AX Trading.
- This is a multi-trillion dollar market with huge global enterprises, traditional exchanges and global banks are all adopting DLT at a rapid pace and going into production at scale in a matter of months
Overledger a blockchain operating system, will enable universal interoperability for regulatory-compliant security tokens and digital assets to be traded on AX ATS, a regulated secondary trading market. AX intends to integrate Overledger to help foster the evolution of traditional capital markets infrastructure to facilitate the mass implementation of regulated digital assets. With the increased market adoption of digital assets and banking “coins” such as JPMorgan Coin, AX and Quant Network are at the forefront to enable the transferability and movement of digital assets George O’Krepkie, AX CEO said: “we look forward to partnering with Quant. Their technology will allow our blockchain agnostic security token exchange to communicate seamlessly with issuers, traders, investors, and regulators across different blockchain protocols. This is a key technological breakthrough that will help us bring the benefits of security tokens to Main Street and Wall Street.” To read more see my other article which goes into more details about Wall Street 2.0: Enabled by Quant Network’s Partnership with SEC & FINRA registered AX Trading here https://preview.redd.it/on9hbjk54pn31.png?width=1286&format=png&auto=webp&s=ca9ed465376e483801cf87e8933f0e718be915b4
- Oracle are the second largest software company in the world, second only to Microsoft and worth $174.5 billion.
- Quant Network are an Oracle Fintech Partner. Oracle are jointly going to market with Quant Network and taking Overledger directly to their 480,000 clients globally.
- On the week commencing the 23rd September 2019 Quant Network and Oracle will be showcasing Overledger at the largest Financial event of the year SIBOS. SIBOS is a very exclusive financial services only event that only institutions that are connected to SWIFT can attend. The only 2 Blockchain firms attending are Quant Network and Ripple.
At Sibos 2019 Oracle is excited to feature 10 of our fintechs that have proven they are enterprise cloud ready and span a wide range of digital transformation themes including several available on Oracle’s Open Banking API ecosystem. Discover how you can accelerate your digital banking journey with a wide range of proven Oracle fintech solutions that meet the security, performance, and compliance needs for today’s Adaptive Bank — Oracle SIBOS 2019 Blockchain Enables Trustworthy Transactions The potential uses of blockchain technologies are seemingly endless, from providing easy access to online payments to creating connected economies. But one of blockchain’s standout promises is to automate trust by providing an incorruptible platform for transactions. Quant’s Overledger is the world’s first blockchain operating system. It’s designed to provide any network in the world with a gateway to all other blockchains, and therefore enable companies to develop new solutions by incorporating features from multiple blockchain applications. — https://blogs.oracle.com/startup/innovation-pays%3a-the-five-fintech-startups-making-money-more-interesting https://preview.redd.it/bv0hxxr84pn31.png?width=1100&format=png&auto=webp&s=8e67dd4a7b23eae444ed1ed9e7f7bda972236280
- Crowdz are the leading blockchain-based trade finance company
- Headed by Cisco’s former global supply-chain leader
- In business since 2014, with 270+ beta clients
- partnered with Barclaycard, part of Barclays Bank, to integrate into their payment solutions
- Recently received $5.5 million Series A Investment from Barclays Bank and BOLD Capital Partners, with additional investments coming from TFX Capital Partners, Techstars Ventures, and First Derivatives
- In talks with the Korean Government about using their tech.
Payson Johnston, President and CEO of Crowdz, a Silicon Valley trade-finance and financial-technology company, stated that, “Although Crowdz uses the Ethereum blockchain as the foundation for our Invoice Auction Exchange, we have needed a solution that allows for invoices and other documents to be transferred from one blockchain to another — for example, among Hyperledger, Corda, and EOS. With the Overledger solution from Quant Network, it is now possible to pass data among different blockchains. Crowdz looks forward to working with Quant Network to enable the true multi-blockchain environment that our customers demand.” You can read more about the announcement here
AuCloud and UKCloud
- UKCloudX is the UK Sovereign High assurance cloud services designed for the UK’s most sensitive and mission critical systems from Defence, National Security to wider Government requirements.
- AUCloud is Australia’s sovereign cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, exclusively focused on the Australian Government (Federal, State and Local) and Critical National Industry (CNI) communities.
- AuCloud integrate Overledger onto the AUCloud platform to provide highly secure and interoperable Blockchain-as-a-Service for Australian Government and Defence and the critical national industries and supply chains that serve the nation.
Scott Wilkie, Director of AUCloud stated that Australian Government, Department of Defence and major industries are using or testing blockchain to interact with their supply chain, critical infrastructure, national record keeping and financial services. These organisations require the interoperable functionality that can only come with an operating system like Overledger and the security of the leading sovereign Australian cloud platform. Without Overledger, none of these projects or systems will be able to communicate with each other or enable cross party collaboration. Brad Bastow, CTO AUCloud (previously CTO Department of the Prime Minster & Cabinet) stated that “applying world leading blockchain technologies to enhancing the cyber security of cloud IaaS and PaaS can significantly improve the ease of adoption and reduces risks for all government users and citizens. We aim to bring the most effective and assured technologies as-a-Service and Quant Network have some of the most advanced blockchain technology in the world in this respect.” You can read more about the announcement here
- A Cloud-based, smart-contract-as-a-service (SCaas) platform. enabling users across a variety of skill sets to implement DAPPs.
- formed from a Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) grant in 2017 originally developed by ITAMCO and the University of Notre Dame
- Awarded a grant from the Department of Energy to develop a platform for a blockchain solution for the solar energy market.
- Their platform is available on Azure and are Microsoft Start Up Partners with a former Microsoft Global Exec Joining SIMBA Chain.
- Some of their other partnerships include the Government Blockchain Association, Air Force Research Laboratory, Caterpillar, SAP and EY
- Recently announced they are starting to develop on Quant Network’s Overledger to enable connection to all of the blockchains currently connected through Overledger and provide interoperability between them.
- an AI-powered decentralized investment and financing ecosystem, which allows corporates to quickly, cheaply and safely raise funds, whether it be equity, debt or tokens.
- Selected as 1 of 15 Best Early-Stage startups at Money 20/20, Europe’s Largest Finetech Conference.
- Joined Kickstart Innovation, one of Europe’s largest multi-corporate accelerators.
- Joined Level39 Europe’s largest Fintech Accelerator
- Partnered with Holochain, Elastos and Portugal Finlab
- have more than 35 years combined experience in capital markets at top investment banks (Goldman, JP Morgan, Barclays…) and more than 10 years in AI, IT and software development (Barclays, VINCI, PostNL…).
“AllianceBlock will use Overledger to leverage multiple blockchains and create multi-chains token swaps. This partnership offers the possibility to open a new set of real-world applications leveraging different features from different chains. AllianceBlock is delighted about this partnership which will help blockchain projects and SMEs wield blockchain technology very easily” said Rachid Ajaja, Co-founder of AllianceBlock.
Jiangsu Huaxin Blockchain Institute
- the first state-owned research hub dedicated to exploring blockchain technology for the Chinese Ministry of Commerce with over 100 employees.
- high-tech R & D institution backed by the provincial government in Jiangsu, the second highest GDP grossing province in China
- Backed by parent company Beijing Huaxin Electronics Enterprise Group, a conglomerate that has incubated and invested in numerous IT and telecommunications companies
- China’s official institution for blockchain development, signed an agreement to collaborate on the development of innovations like distributed computing and quantum cryptography to revolutionize the next generation of distributed ledger technology (DLT) protocols.
- Quant Network have signed a MoU for a 5 year cooperation
Atlantic Power Exchange
- An Early Stage start-up developing P2P energy software enabling automated trading of green and sustainable electricity over the blockchain
- Creating an Upstream Energy exchange which interconnects existing P2P exchanges (like PowerLedger, WePower, GridSingularity etc) to multiple stakeholders, suppliers and customers in Australia.
- All Built on Overledger
Managing Director of Rockefeller Capital Joins the Board of Quant Network
- Rockefeller Capital Management is a leading independent financial services firm led by President & Chief Executive Officer Gregory J. Fleming, offering global family office, wealth management, asset management and strategic advisory services to ultra-high-net-worth individuals, families, institutions and corporations
- Rockefeller Capital Management manages over $19 Billion in Assets with the aim of expanding this to $100 billion within 5 years.
Guy Dietrich, Managing Director, Rockefeller Capital commented:
“I’m delighted to join the Board of Quant Network. This is an exceptional team of experienced professionals in the cybersecurity and blockchain industry.”
Guy Dietrich recently personally attended meetings with the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) with Gilbert.
International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
Gilbert Verdian is the founder of ISO TC 307, the global standard for Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies which 55 countries are currently working towards. Gilbert is the chairman for the TC 307 Working Group for Interoperability of blockchain and distributed ledger technology systems
European’s Union INATBA
Quant Network is a founding member in the European Union’s launch of the International Association for Trusted Blockchain Applications (INATBA). Other members of INATBA include Accenture, Accord Project, Alastria,Banco Santander, BBVA, Consensys, Enterprise Ethereum Alliance, Fujitsu, IOTA, Ledger, SAP, SIA, Swift, Telefonica, We.Trade and many more. INATBA is a collaboration of 26 EU countries to develop EU blockchain regulation and prepare the launch of EU-wide blockchain applications
- Quant Network accepted as a company guarantor of Pay.UK, the UK’s largest payment network, alongside banks and other FinTech companies
- Through this relationship, Quant Network will shape the payment ecosystem to promote competition, innovation and openness, as well as setting the strategic direction of the Payments infrastructure and adopting the New Payments Architecture (NPA).
You can read more about it here
and here https://preview.redd.it/10okaogo4pn31.png?width=1454&format=png&auto=webp&s=99f7696dd6994b74960d2d017cb06d97304221a4
- consortium for blockchain innovation in the mobility industry. The consortium was founded by leading automakers including Renault, Ford, GM, and BMW, and now represents more than 80 percent of global auto manufacturing by volume. Other members include Bosch, IBM, Cognizant, Accenture, Consensys, IOTA, R3, VeChain, Hyperledger, Ocean Protocol and Honda (Full list can be seen here)
- Overledger operating system will enable interconnectivity and interoperability of data between manufacturers, devices, transportation and autonomous vehicles
- Quant Network has joined Hyperledger where more than 270 organisations are now contributing to the growth of Hyperledger’s open source distributed ledger frameworks and tools. Some of the companies involved are Accentrue, Airbus, American Express, Baidu, Cisco, Deutsche Bank, DTCC, Fujitsu, Hitachi, IBM, Intel, J.P.Morgan, SAP, BBVA, Bosch, Deloitte, Fedex, Huawei, Lenovo, NTT Data, Oracle, PWC, R3, Ripple, Samsung, We.trade, Bank of England, Enterprise Ethereum Alliance, Federal Reserve, MOBI etc. Full list of members can be seen here.
- Working with the Hyperledger Quilt team to enhance Blockchain Interoperability capability for Hyperledger members
- The Accord Project is the organization for the development of techno-legal standards for smart legal contracts and distributed ledger applications in the legal industry
- The Project operates in collaboration with IEEE, the International Association for Contract and Commercial Management, Hyperledger, R3, Decentralized Identity Foundation, and a number of leading trade associations, industry and standards organizations, and world leading law firms.
- Quant Network have joined the Accord Project and are providing the Technology with Overledger and Treaty Contracts.
As well as many being worked on and yet to be publicly announced:
- Indian Multinational IT Service and consulting company with offices in 44 countries and 137,000+ employees
- Among the top 20 largest publicly traded companies in India with a market cap of $18.7 Billion and revenue of $9 billion.
- Customers include 250 of the Fortune 500 and 650 of the Global 2000 companies.
we are really looking at ASIA, especially around Singapore, Hong Kong and we are working with partners to go there, just yesterday we had a meeting with a $8 billion company based in the ASIA region and they want to use Overledger for their clients and they are going to help us expand to that region, once we partner with the right bigger players https://youtu.be/G1b9TX6rcuI https://preview.redd.it/ac3f0yjv4pn31.png?width=827&format=png&auto=webp&s=dc1bfde0a476ee6ffbcb15284236dbb5d9d508e9
2 of the Big 4 Global Consultancy Firms are taking Quant Network’s Overledger to their clients.
The Big 4 Global Consultancy firms are huge and consist of Deloitte, PwC, EY and KPMG. They offer a range of services from offering consultancy advice on what to use, assisted prototyping right through to the delivery of production-ready enterprise solutions. Previously Gilbert was the Director of Cybersecurity at PwC and a Senior Manager of Security at EY
plus Lara Verdian was the director for Deloitte Access Economics at Deloitte. https://preview.redd.it/2hklfapx4pn31.png?width=697&format=png&auto=webp&s=d8181a12c888de00f4cbc6a4ff639697acc4deee
Quant Network are currently working with 2 of the above 4 global consultancy firms who are taking Overledger to their clients.
As well as many other consultancy firms: https://preview.redd.it/usoyx5b15pn31.png?width=1215&format=png&auto=webp&s=a60b243d74e50dbc97ada380001f6f9396c8bb5b
- Quant are working the Government of Armenia in Health, futureproofing the eHealth Strategy with Blockchain
- Working with huge Conglomerates to establish a new consortium in Healthcare
They are also in talks with Traditional Exchanges such as the Swiss Stock Exchange SDX Platform and others as well as Large asset management firms https://preview.redd.it/cn3ylk295pn31.png?width=1254&format=png&auto=webp&s=1b24c2088383aa5438b9d97bd54c34867b1cb137
As well as various Governments including the Australian Treasury with DATA61 regarding open banking and consumer data rights, the UK’s HMRC, Central Banks, Global companies in Korea, Insurance Companies, Airlines and Logistic companies. https://preview.redd.it/t35ctv3b5pn31.png?width=1237&format=png&auto=webp&s=311762c9dbdc2755001b9b1a426dbe0206105574
It’s truly remarkable what they have achieved in such a short space of time, working non-stop all around the globe, working with enormous Global organisations, Leading Financial Institutions, Governments and Health. Quant Network is enabling the mass adoption of Blockchain, bridging all blockchains and offchain networks together (as well as plans to connect directly to the Internet) to achieve the true potential of this revolutionary technology.
In the last article of this mini-series I will take a closer look at the tokenomics of the QNT token and why there isn’t another utility token with as much value as QNT. With a tiny total supply of just 14.6 million QNT tokens, with no inflation, Supply reducing further as tokens are taken out circulation with licensing and strong demand / usage for the token, as well as minimum QNT holdings for wallets to benefit from Universal Interoperability.
Part One — Blockchain Fundamentals
Part Two — The Layers Of Overledger
Part Three — TrustTag and the Tokenisation of data
Part Four — Features Overledger provides to MAPPs
Part Five — Creating the Standards for Interoperability
Part Six — The Team behind Overledger and Partners
Part Seven — The QNT Token
Part Eight — Enabling Enterprise Mass Adoption Quant Network Enabling Mass Adoption of Blockchain at a Rapid Pace Quant Network Partner with SIA, A Game Changer for Mass Blockchain Adoption by Financial Institutions
Part One of this mini Series — What is a blockchain operating system and what are the benefits? Introducing Overledger from Quant Network Wall Street 2.0: How Blockchain will revolutionise Wall Street and a closer look at Quant Network’s Partnership with AX Trading
In the wild world of blockchain pioneers, Power Ledger founder Jemma Green is a rock star.
The former investment banker oversaw the biggest initial coin offering in Australian history, was chosen as EY's fintech entrepreneur of the year, and won an international start-up competition overseen by Sir Richard Branson. She even stepped in as Perth's mayor last year.
Her two-and-half-year-old company promises to revolutionise the global power industry. Power Ledger's blockchain tokens, an unregulated, computer-based form of money, allow individuals to trade electricity between themselves, save money and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Power Ledger founder Jemma Green won the Extreme Tech Challenge in 2018, which was judged at Richard Branson's private island in the Caribbean. Supplied
Green created a virtual currency worth more than $2 billion at its peak. Yet her trading system has a tiny take-up, was rejected by the one big electricity retailer that tested it, and a government-funded trial hasn't met the expectations of some involved.
Now, some experienced tech and green-industry figures are posing an awkward question: does Power Ledger epitomise the over-hyping of blockchain?
"I'm a software engineer by training, have been mucking about online for 35-plus years and am an energy geek," says Melbourne green-energy investor Simon Holmes a Court. "I still don't understand what valuable problem they are trying to solve.
"The basic infrastructure to manage transactions at massive scale already exists – [there's] no need to use Blockchain."
Blockchain, which is the basis for Bitcoin and similar currencies, was invented in 2008 by an unknown person. Despite billions invested in the technology, it is unclear if there are any profitable blockchain businesses not directly involved in cryptocurrencies.
"We've seen a bunch of profitable blockchain applications, but all have been focused on obtaining and trading crypto and their profitability is generally linked to prices – think miners, exchanges and wallet providers," says John Henderson, a venture capitalist at AirTree Ventures.
The blockchain frenzy
Part of blockchain's popularity is as much ideological as financial. Encrypted databases spread around the internet, controlled by no one, blockchains represent a technological rebellion against the centralisation of economic power in governments and central banks, whom many hold responsible for global financial crisis.
"Blockchain has been seen as a nirvana – its ideological roots are decentralisation and removal of institutions," says Peter Williams, a partner at Deloitte Consulting who specialises in technology. "The zealots are into self-sovereign ID, everything decentralised and the end of institutions."
Last year, the blockchain enthusiasm drove a global investment wave. Some 1225 initial coin offerings, the blockchain-equivalent of IPOs or sharemarket floats, raised $US7.5 billion through the sale of blockchain tokens or coins, much of it from individual investors, according to the ICO Data website. The technology was predicted to change dozens of industries, from shipping to healthcare.
In Australia, Green was at the forefront of the movement. Her company promised to apply blockchain's anti-authority ethos to challenging big electricity monopolies.
@elonmusk I am told you might be interested in us at @PowerLedger_io we do blockchain energy for democratisation of power & citizen utilies
— Dr Jemma Green (@msjemmagreen) September 15, 2017
Green had been in London for 11 years. After starting as a trading assistant at the Royal Bank of Scotland, she joined JP Morgan, where she assessed the environmental and social risk of new loans and shares.
Going places in Perth
In 2013 she returned to Perth, where her father had bred and trained racehorses. She began to ascend the city's business and social hierarchy.
Green enrolled in a PhD at Curtin University, consulted under the brand The Green Enterprise, and ran for the City of Perth council. She joined the advisory board of One Million Women, a female climate change group based in Sydney.
Within four years she was deputy mayor and head of one of the Perth's hottest start-ups. She was tweeting Elon Musk, trying to get him interested. (He didn't reply.) "The motto that I live by is 'anything's possible'," she said at the time.
Why @elonmusk Has His Eye On This Aussie #Blockchain #Energy Company @PowerLedger_io #ICO #POWRtoken
— Crypto Guru 2018 (@ICO_Market_Guru) October 6, 2017
Green had hatched a plan worthy of her motto: cash in on the bitcoin boom by creating one billion virtual-currency tokens.
Her pitch was almost impossible for outsiders to understand. The ambition was unmistakable.
"The Power Ledger Platform is a trustless, transparent and interoperable energy trading platform that supports an ever-expanding suite of energy applications, with an exchangeable frictionless energy trading token, Sparkz," Power Ledger's 28-page company manifesto said.
Sounds like an IPO
It sounded like an IPO. It wasn't. Instead, the tokens gave investors the right to use Power Ledger's technology at some point in the future. The weren't entitled to any profits.
In Power Ledger's market individuals use blockchain tokens to buy and sell electricity generated from solar panels. Vicky Hughson
Most companies raising capital use stockbrokers or bankers. Power Ledger turned to what are known in the blockchain world as "bounty hunters".
One-and-a-half million POWR tokens were set aside for individuals to promote the sale on social media. Dozens of newspaper and blog articles were published. The Huffington Post profiled the company and compared blockchain with the early internet.
Articles exaggerated Power Ledger's achievements. The company was often described as operating a retail electricity market, and sounded liked an eBay or Amazon for solar power. In reality, it was building the technology and didn't have a commercial market operating.
Twitter was flooded with posts. Some claimed Musk had asked the company for advice. Fake accounts were rewarded with POWR tokens for their promotional work.
"Some of our bounty group were professional bounty hunters chasing tokens because it's what they do," Power Ledger said in a post a few weeks after the token sale. "Some were bots reporting an astounding 5000 likes of our social media output in a single 24-hour period."
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission disapproves of people spruiking investments without disclosing their interest.
"Certainly in my view it is not good practice for individuals to be promoting ICOs and receiving a benefit if they are not transparent about the benefits they are receiving," says John Price, an ASIC commissioner.
Peter Williams, the Deloitte partner, goes further. These are "classic market manipulation techniques," he says.
Some experienced tech and green-industry figures are posing an awkward question: does Power Ledger epitomise the over-hyping of blockchain?
Asked why Power Ledger used bounty hunters, Green says she isn't familiar with the phrase. "I don't know what you are talking about," she says.
Later, in an email, Greens says Power Ledger, unlike some other blockchain companies, works hard to be transparent. "We ran the ICO through a corporate structure, through our proprietary limited business," she says. "We have tax exposure. We had a proof of concept before going to market. And we did all of those things because we realise we need to bring legitimacy to our space and the ICO and crypto space more generally."
In almost perfect timing, Power Ledger raised $34 million a couple of months before bitcoin peaked. No other Australian blockchain company was as popular.
Initially, the tokens were a great investment. Sold by Power Ledger for US8.38¢ each, within five weeks they were trading at $US1.79. In a year and half, a company with fewer than 30 staff had created $2.4 billion in wealth.
Tokens allocated to Green, other private investors and key staff were worth $360 million. The former traders' assistant had been hit by what is known in the tech circles as the "money truck".
Green became a bona fide tech celebrity. She turned up at the World Economic Forum in Davos to help launch the Global Blockchain Business Council. EY named Green as one of its entrepreneurs of the year.
The accounting firm had fast-tracked her through the process. Contenders in other categories were required to go through applications, interviews, presentations over many months. Green's name was simply forwarded to the judges with a few others.
A market that doesn't exist
The adulation was based on Power Ledger's home-to-home trading idea, which it says is "perfect for any household, office or retailer connected to the electricity grid".
Blockchain CEO David Martin with chairman Jemma Green at their Perth office. The company issued blockchain tokens worth $2.4 billion at their peak. Trevor Collens
But the system doesn't operate outside a few pre-established trials that cover a tiny number of people. The low-cost of electricity, the ubiquity of supply and efficient exiting payment systems pose significant obstacles, critics say.
There is no way to sign up to Power Ledger's trading system. Electricity companies are needed – the Power Ledger website urges consumers to lobby them – but Origin Energy carried out a simulation and decided not to go ahead.
Asked how many buildings around the world use Power Ledger's system, Green says, "I don't know exactly off the top of my head".
Her CEO, David Martin, says the number is less than 100. All are trial sites, except for three Perth apartment buildings that were part of Green's PhD thesis. "We have never said that anyone can get on and start trading," she says.
The government has provided $2.6 million to test the system out on some 40 houses in Fremantle. The project is billed as the first electricity market where residents can set their own prices. It is a chance for Power Ledger to fulfil its core promise to generate higher prices for solar power producers and lower prices for consumers – the classic example of an efficient market.
One participant, who asked not to be named, says the trading system isn't worth using. A former manager in the energy industry, she her own solar panels and electric car. She sells electricity to the grid for 7¢ per kilowatt, and buys it for 26¢ per kilowatt.
Using Power Ledger, she expected to trade electricity with her neighbours between 7¢ and 26¢, saving both sides money. Power Ledger takes a cut of about half a cent a kilowatt.
But the local electricity retailer and power grid, Synergy and Western Power, charge a connection fee of $3 a day to trial participants. The overhead makes trading uneconomic for her.
Initially, the tokens were a great investment. Sold by Power Ledger for US8.38¢ each, within five weeks they were trading at $US1.79. In a year and half, a company with fewer than 30 staff had created $2.4 billion in wealth.
"I was quite disappointed because I find the idea of energy trading very exiting and I really wanted to experiment with it," she says.
The project's manager, Karla Fox-Reynolds of Curtin University, says other houses are buying and selling. "They are feeling empowered and enabled to participate in the energy market," she says. The project is advertising for more recruits.
'The road is not always straight'
Any criticism about Power Ledger's small take-up rate is unfair, Green says, because it is such a young company. "The road is not always straight," she says. "I think the value of it over time will be immeasurable."
Even some blockchain boosters are sceptical. Fred Schebesta, who owns a cryptocurrency broker, says he can't see what would drive the token price up.
"I think that they will need millions or hundreds of thousands [of customers] to be viable or really take off," he says. "The value of the token holders is not well aligned to the value of the business."
Now the bitcoin boom seems to have passed, many tech industry leaders are questioning if the ICOs were an investment fad that shifted wealth rather than created it.
"The ICO craze is and was way worse than the dot-com boom, where capital raised was at least a share of the upside and was subject to regulation," says Williams, the Deloitte partner.
After spectacularly peaking in January, POWR tokens crashed with the rest of the bitcoin market. Today they trade around 6.5¢, about 20 per cent below their issue price.
Skeptics question if blockchain is needed in the retail electricity industry, where big networks have scale, ubiquity and easy payment options. Supplied
The company continues to reward bloggers who promote the virtual currency. One of the boosters is a price-comparison website, Finder.com.au
, whose owner invests in cryptocurrencies.
"Power Ledger is an ambitious project but one that nonetheless has the potential to transform the energy industry around the world," one of the site's contributors, Tim Falk, wrote last month.
Falk, who recently wrote about 2018's top carpet cleaners, has punted on POWR tokens himself.
Note: New Reddit look may not highlight links. See old look here. A copy is hosted on GitHub for better reading experience. Check it out, contains photo of the month! Also on Medium submitted by
dcrd: Significant optimization
in signature hash calculation, bloom filters support was removed
, 2x faster startup thanks to in-memory full block index
, multipeer work advancing
, stronger protection
against majority hashpower attacks. Additionally, code refactoring and cleanup, code and test infrastructure improvements.
In dcrd and dcrwallet developers have been experimenting
with new modular dependency and versioning schemes using vgo. @orthomind is seeking feedback for his work on reproducible builds
Decrediton: 1.2.1 bugfix release
, work on SPV has started
, chart additions are in progress. Further simplification of the staking process is in the pipeline (slack
Politeia: new command line tool
to interact with Politeia API, general development is ongoing. Help with testing will soon be welcome: this issue
sets out a test plan, join #politeia
to follow progress and participate in testing.
dcrdata: work ongoing on improved design
, adding more charts
and improving Insight API support.
Android: design work advancing
Decred's own DNS seeder (dcrseeder
) was released
. It is written in Go and it properly supports service bit filtering, which will allow SPV nodes to find full nodes that support compact filters.
Ticket splitting service by @matheusd entered
beta and demonstrated
an 11-way split on mainnet. Help with testing is much appreciated, please join #ticket_splitting
to participate in splits, but check this doc
to learn about the risks. Reddit discussion here
Trezor support is expected
to land in their next firmware update
Decred is now supported
by Riemann, a toolbox from James Prestwich to construct transactions for many UTXO-based chains from human-readable strings.
Atomic swap with Ethereum on testnet was demonstrated
at Blockspot Conference LATAM.
Two new faces were added
Dev activity stats for May: 238 active PRs, 195 master commits, 32,831 added and 22,280 deleted lines spread across 8 repositories. Contributions came from 4-10 developers per repository. (chart
Hashrate: rapid growth from ~4,000 TH/s at the beginning of the month to ~15,000 at the end with new all time high of 17,949. Interesting dynamic in hashrate distribution
across mining pools: coinmine.pl share went down from 55% to 25% while F2Pool up from 2% to 44%. [Note: as of June 6, the hashrate continues to rise and has already passed 22,000 TH/s]
Staking: 30-day average ticket price is 91.3 DCR (+0.8), stake participation is 46.9% (+0.8%) with 3.68 million DCR locked (+0.15). Min price was 85.56. On May 11 ticket price surged to 96.99, staying elevated for longer than usual after such a pump. Locked DCR peaked at 47.17%. jet_user on reddit suggested
that the DCR for these tickets likely came from a miner with significant hashrate.
Nodes: there are 226 public listening and 405 normal nodes per dcred.eu
. Version distribution: 45% on v1.2.0 (up from 24% last month), 39% on v1.1.2, 15% on v1.1.0 and 1% running outdaded versions.
Obelisk team posted
an update. Current hashrate estimate of DCR1 is 1200 GH/s at 500 W and may still change. The chips came back at 40% the speed of the simulated results, it is still unknown why. Batch 1 units may get delayed 1-2 weeks past June 30. See discussions on decred
and on siacoin
that 7940 DCR1 units were sold in Batches 1-5, while Lynmar13 shared
his projections of DCR1 profitability (reddit
A new Chinese miner for pre-order was noticed by our Telegram group. Woodpecker WB2 specs 1.5 TH/s at 1200 W, costs 15,000 CNY (~2,340 USD) and the initial 150 units are expected to ship on Aug 15. (pow8.com
Another new miner is iBelink DSM6T: 6 TH/s at 2100 W costing $6,300 (ibelink.co
). Shipping starts from June 5. Some concerns and links were posted in these two threads
A new mining pool is available
. It uses PPLNS model and takes 1% fee.
Another infrastructure addition is tokensmart.io
, a newly audited stake pool with 0.8% fee. There are a total of 14 stake pools
- Upbit added DCKRW and DCUSDT pairs. A user reported that DCR deposits and withdrawals are now available.
- CoinEx announced the launch of DCBTC and DCBCH pairs.
- Bleutrade added DCUSDT pair. Note their reply to our tweet. It was the first exchange to list Decred minutes after launch.
- Brazilian exchange OmniTrade added DCBRL fiat pair following a poll. Worth noting that it is one of the first to integrate Trezor sign-in.
- Bittrex added DCUSDT pair. Withdrawal fee was lowered to 0.01 DCR per user's report.
- Cryptopia enabled DCUSDT pair too.
- There are reports that DCR was added to Abucoins and Tor Exchange but we don't know much about them.
an update that allows one to trade cryptocurrencies, including
@i2Rav from i2trading
is now offering two sided OTC market liquidity on DCUSD in #trading
, payments solution for point of sale and e-commerce, integrated
Decred. (missed in April issue)
CoinPayments, a payment processor supporting Decred, developed
an integration with @Shopify
that allows connected merchants to accept cryptocurrencies in exchange for goods.
An update from VotoLegal:
michae2xl: Voto Legal: CEO Thiago Rondon of Appcívico, has already been contacted by 800 politicians and negotiations have started with four pre-candidates for the presidency (slack, source tweet)
Blockfolio rolled out Signal Beta with Decred in the list
. Users who own or watch a coin will automatically receive updates pushed by project teams. Nice to see this Journal made it to the screenshot!
Placeholder Ventures announced
that Decred is their first
public investment. Their Investment Thesis
is a clear and well researched overview of Decred. Among other great points it noted the less obvious benefit of not doing an ICO:
By choosing not to pre-sell coins to speculators, the financial rewards from Decred’s growth most favor those who work for the network.
Alex Evans, a cryptoeconomics researcher who recently joined Placeholder, posted
his 13-page Decred Network Analysis
March–April survey results (pdf
). It analyzes 166 responses and has lots of interesting data. Just an example:
"I own DECRED because I saw a YouTube video with DECRED Jesus and after seeing it I was sold."
May targeted advertising report released
. Reach @timhebel for full version.
More creative promos by @jackliv3r: Contributing
, Stake Now
, The Splitting
, Forbidden Exchange
, Atomic Swaps
Reminder: Stakey has his own Twitter account
where he tweets about his antics and pours scorn on the holders of expired tickets.
"Autonomy" coin sculpture is available
in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Jake Yocom-Piatt presented "Decentralized Central Banking". Note the mini stakey on one of the photos. (article
, photos: 1 2 album
) Wicked Crypto Meetup
in Warsaw, Poland. (video
, photos: 1 2
) Decred Polska Meetup
in Katowice, Poland. First known Decred Cake. (photos: 1 2
) Austin Hispanic Hackers Meetup
in Austin, USA. Consensus 2018
in New York, USA. See videos in the Media section. Select photos: booth
, moon boots
, giant stakey
. Many other photos and mentions were posted
on Twitter. One tweet summarized Decred pretty well:
One project that stands out at #Consensus2018 is @decredproject. Not annoying. Real tech. Humble team. #BUIDL is strong with them. (@PallerJohn) Token Summit
in New York, USA. @cburniske
from Placeholder talked "Governance and Cryptoeconomics" and spoke highly of Decred. (twitter coverage: 1 2
(from 32 min)) Campus Party
in Bahia, Brazil. João Ferreira aka @girino and Gabriel @Rhama were introducing Decred, talking about governance and teaching to perform atomic swaps. (photos
Decred was introduced
to the delegates from Shanghai's Caohejing Hi-Tech Park, organized by @ybfventures
Second Decred meetup in Hangzhou, China. (photos
) Madison Blockchain
in Madison, USA. "Lots of in-depth questions. The Q&A lasted longer than the presentation!". (photo
) Blockspot Conference Latam
in Sao Paulo, Brazil. (photos: 1
- Decred Australia Meetup in Melbourne, Australia on June 12. Organized by YBF Ventures, all backgrounds are welcome.
- Brazil: meetup in Brasilia on June 13, meetup in Belo Horizonte on June 16 and Campus Party Brasilia on June 27.
- O'Reilly Open Source Convention in Portland, USA on July 18-19. Unlike many "regular" events this one is developer focused. @raedah's team will attend.
- If you are interested in Decred event in San Francisco Bay Area please check this thread.
There is a community initiative by @vj to organize information related to events in a repository
. Jump in #event_planning
channel to contribute.
Decred scored B (top 3) in Weiss Ratings
and A- (top 8) in Darpal Rating
Chinese institute is developing
another rating system for blockchains. First round included
). Upon release
Decred ranked 26. For context, Bitcoin ranked 13.
- Team Spotlight: Decred, Pedal Steel Guitar, and Thoughts on Bitcoin From an Exodus Developer (medium.com, missed in April issue)
- Decred: A Cryptocurrency That Combines PoW, PoS (investopedia.com, translated to Spanish and Russian)
- Decred Price Booms on Consensus 2018 Publicity (cryptovest.com)
- Decred Leads By Example With Fair Governance (cryptodaily.co.uk)
- Graph showing your ticket's chance to vote on any given day (twitter)
- Decred: More Steps to Fame, as Price Shoots Above $110 (cryptovest.com)
- Sole Survivor: Decred Unaffected in Latest Market Downturn (cryptovest.com)
- Placeholder VC Puts Money on Decred to Rival Bitcoin (btcmanager.com)
- Decred Is The Most Undervalued Cryptocurrency With A 15% Dividend-Like Yield, Possibly The Next Bitcoin (seekingalpha.com)
- Decred Coin News: What makes Decred coin price to go over $100? (theoofy.com)
- Asian Cryptocurrency Trading Update: Only Decred Showing a Gain (newsbtc.com)
- Why Decred? Let the community tell you! by Noah Pierau (medium.com)
- A post by @DecredKing arguing being first in crypto is not enough (medium.com)
- Why Decred is the new Bitcoin (globalcoinreport.com)
- The Long-Term Bullish Case for Decred by Ben Davidow (medium.com)
- Hardware Companies Are Launching Dedicated ASIC Miners for Decred (btcmanager.com)
- Iterative Capital partner Chris Dannen and journalist Ben Schiller speak with Marco and Jonathan from Decred at Consensus 2018 (soundcloud)
- Decred Review: What is DCR, the Decred Community & Possible Challenges by BitBoy Crypto (youtube)
- Decred Founder: Bitcoin Paved Way, Phase 2 Will Shock You! (Marco Peereboom) by Pure Blockchain Wealth (youtube)
- Decred & Blocknet: Revolutionary governance for every community feat. JZ at Consensus 2018 (youtube)
- Decred coin - Will it be better than Bitcoin? by Bitassist (youtube)
Community stats: Twitter 39,118 (+742), Reddit 8,167 (+277), Slack 5,658 (+160). Difference is between May 5 and May 31.
Reddit highlights: transparent up/down voting
on Politeia, combining
LN and atomic swaps, minimum viable superorganism
, the controversial debate
on Decred contractor model (people wondered
about true motives behind the thread), tx size and fees discussion
, hard moderation case
of ASICs on price, another "Why Decred?" thread
with another excellent pitch by solar, fee analysis
showing how ticket price algorithm change was controversial with ~100x cut in miner profits, impact
of ticket splitting on ticket price, recommendations
on promoting Decred, security against double spends
and custom voting policies.
@R3VoLuT1OneR posted a preview of a proposal
from his company for Decred to offer scholarships for students. dcrtrader
gained a couple of new moderators, weekly automatic threads were reconfigured to monthly and empty threads were removed. Currently most trading talk happens on #trading and some leaks to decred
. A separate trading sub offers some advantages: unlimited trading talk, broad range of allowed topics, free speech and transparent moderation, in addition to standard reddit threaded discussion, permanent history and search.
Forum: potential social attacks
Slack: the #governance
channel created last month has seen many intelligent conversations on topics including: finite attention of decision makers, why stakeholders can
make good decisions (opposed to a common narrative than only developers are capable of making good decisions), proposal funding and contractor pre-qualification, Cardano and Dash treasuries, quadratic voting, equality of outcome vs equality of opportunity, and much more.
One particularly important issue being discussed is the growing number of posts arguing that on-chain governance and coin voting is bad. Just a few examples from Twitter: Decred is solving an imagined problem
by @jm_buirski), we convince
ourselves that we need governance and ticket price algo vote was not controversial, on-chain governance hurts
node operators and it is too early
for it, it robs
node operators of their role, crypto risks being captured
by the wealthy, it is a huge threat
to the whole public blockchain space, coin holders should not
own the blockchain.
Some responses were posted here
on Twitter, as well as this article
by Noah Pierau.
The month of May has seen Decred earn some much deserved attention in the markets. DCR started the month around 0.009 BTC and finished around 0.0125 with interim high of 0.0165 on Bittrex. In USD terms it started around $81 and finished around $92, temporarily rising to $118. During a period in which most altcoins suffered, Decred has performed well; rising from rank #45 to #30 on Coinmarketcap.
The addition of a much awaited KRW pair on Upbit saw the price briefly double on some exchanges. This pair opens up direct DCR to fiat trading in one of the largest cryptocurrency markets in the world.
An update from @i2Rav:
We have begun trading DCR in large volume daily. The interest around DCR has really started to grow in terms of OTC quote requests. More and more customers are asking about trading it.
Like in previous month, Decred scores high by "% down from ATH" indicator being #2 on onchainfx
as of June 6.
David Vorick (@taek) published
lots of insights into the world of ASIC manufacturing (reddit
). Bitmain replied
an ASIC for Equihash (archived
), an algorithm thought
to be somewhat ASIC-resistant 2 years ago. Three pure PoW coins
this month, one attempting to be ASIC resistant. This shows the importance of Decred's PoS layer that exerts control over miners and allows Decred to welcome ASIC miners for more PoW security without sacrificing sovereignty to them.
Upbit was raided
over suspected fraud and put under investigation. Following news reported
no illicit activity was found and suggested
and raid was premature and damaged trust in local exchanges.
Circle, the new owner of Poloniex, announced
a USD-backed stablecoin and Bitmain partnership. The plan is to make USDC available as a primary market on Poloniex. More details in the FAQ
lower trading fees.
to offer USD trading pairs.
@sumiflow made good progress on correcting Decred market cap on several sites:
speaking of market cap, I got it corrected on coingecko, cryptocompare, and worldcoinindex onchainfx, livecoinwatch, and cryptoindex.co said they would update it about a month ago but haven't yet I messaged coinlib.io today but haven't got a response yet coinmarketcap refused to correct it until they can verify certain funds have moved from dev wallets which is most likely forever unknowable (slack)
About This Issue
Some source links point to Slack messages. Although Slack hides history older than ~5 days, you can read individual messages if you paste the message link into chat with yourself. Digging the full conversation is hard but possible. The history of all channels bridged to Matrix is saved in Matrix. Therefore it is possible to dig history in Matrix if you know the timestamp of the first message. Slack links encode the timestamp: https://decred.slack.com/archives/C5H9Z63AA/p1525528370000062 => 1525528370 => 2018-05-05 13:52:50.
Most information from third parties is relayed directly from source after a minimal sanity check. The authors of Decred Journal have no ability to verify all claims. Please beware of scams and do your own research.
Your feedback is precious. You can post on GitHub
, comment on Reddit or message us in #writers_room
Credits (Slack names, alphabetical order): bee, Richard-Red, snr01 and solar.
The New Scientist said that the blockchain is coming to Australia’s electricity grid. On August 25 th, a group of neighbours tested a system to trade excess energy from solar panels between themselves using blockchain to record their transactions.The trial was run by local start-up Power Ledger in a retirement village in the city of Busselton, Western Australia. The local Bitcoin partner you can trust. As one of Australia’s first Bitcoin exchanges, we’ve helped Australians buy Bitcoin since 2014. Our Melbourne-based team are passionate about crypto, and we’ve expanded to bitcoin.co.uk, bitcoin.ca and more. No Major Solar Mining Operations in 2019, but One Firm Claims to be Building a 20MW Sun-Powered Facility in Australia Over the last few years, there’s been a lot of FUD surrounding bitcoin ... Virtual Power Plant is a cloud-based power distribution plant designed to provide energy trading and enhancement of power generation. Powerclub members will be able to pool their battery storage and net solar, which will act as a Virtual Power Plant. With the shared pool, users can sell solar power when the demand for electricity is high. Australians Want to Trade Excess Solar Power on Blockchain A group of people in Australia will trade their excess energy on solar panels using a blockchain to record the transactions. The local Australian startup PowerLedger is in charge of the project in a retirement village in Busselton, Western Australia.
NEW CHANNELS: TechStockHouse: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IzbdgN-IDXlWH0dNdgGag TechCryptoHouse: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7Gqpl9Kqiggr_Rs03X... A step by step guide on how to buy Bitcoin in Australia for absolute beginners. 🇭🇲 Buy Bitcoin in Australia through btcmarkets: ... Get an additional $10 in Bitcoins from Coinbase when purchasing through my referral link http://fredyen.com/get/Bitcoins Here is a quick beginner's guide on ... A quick walk through of my solar-powered Bitcoin farm. A quick walk through of my solar-powered Bitcoin farm. This video is a fast and simple step-by-step guide for beginners to buy & sell Bitcoin and other major Cryptocurrencies in Australia & New Zealand (or Intern...